The project „Mobility for Solidarity” took place in Krakow. At the beginning of September, the first group of volunteers arrived: Theo from Germany (who supported the kindergarten of the School and Pre-school Complex no 11), Pia from Spain, Emelyn, and from France (they were volunteers in the Special School Complex no 11).
In the middle of September, the next volunteers came: Rocio and Maria from Spain, Anthi from Greece. Maria was a volunteer in primary school in the School and Pre-school Complex no 11. Anthi and Rocio helpt in Special School Complex no 11.
The others followed: at the beginning of October: Pamela from Italy (volunteer in kindergarten of the School and Pre-school Complex no 11) and Seyma from Turkey (volunteer in Special School Complex no 11), at the end of November – Marie from Belgium (volunteer in the primary school of the School and Pre-school Complex no 11) and in first months of 2020: Eyup and Meryem from Turkey (both were volunteers in Special School Complex no 11) and Mirna from Egypt (she supported primary school of School and Pre-school Complex no 11). Due to problems with finding a volunteer from Croatia and Germany, we decided to have also open recruitment for other countries.
The main goal of our project „Mobility for Solidarity” implemented under the European Solidarity Corps (apart of daily support of hosting organizations) was the common work and integration of volunteers, teachers, students, their families, and the local community around the Special School Complex No. 11 (ZSS 11) and School and Pre-School Complex No. 11 ( ZSP 11) in Krakow. Volunteers became an integral part of the local community. We also aimed to promote the idea of solidarity and volunteering. We wanted volunteers who participated in the project to develop both in personal and social life.
AS A PART OF THE PROJECT’s ACTIVITIES WE ORGANIZED:
- the International & Intergeneration Dancing with Seniors in Tychy
- help in setting-up tent and serving food for homeless during the World Day of Poor in Kraków
- supporting Hanna Community in their service to the homeless (preparing sandwiches, serving soup, backing gingerbread)
- cleaning and preparation for painting in the UNICORN – an organization supporting people having cancer and their families
- meeting with the local coordinator of Academy of the Future during the Volunteers Day – an organization supporting children
- meeting about refugees with Sidhuja Sankaran – local activist; founder of grass-roots initiative Rethinking Refugees (Nastya was involved in their theater project afterward)
- support of Parasol – children youth club (activities during winter break)
- Christmas meeting in Senior’s Club
- zoom meeting with Karol Wilczyński local activist and journalist about solidarity
- workshops about solidarity with IB Polska coordinators
- Spanish Day in the School and Pre-school Complex no 11 (Theo, Pamela, Mirna, Maria, Marie, Pia) – our volunteers from Spain both from the School and Pre-school Complex no 11 and Special School Complex no 11 took part in this event. Maria was one of the main coordinators of it
- Volunteers Day at Special School Complex no 11 – volunteers from special school prepared a short presentation for students and teachers, also coordinators from IB Office were invited
DURING CORONAVIRUS LOCKDOWN:
- preparation of sandwiches for homeless
- support of IB Polska in sewing masks for the elderly and children as well as help in the food warehouse working under program Bank of Food
- support Autism Center and UNICORN in works in the garden
- ZOOM calls:
- meeting with the founder of the Special School nr 11 in Kraków,
- with the founder and leader of DOMeq – a place for LGBT community in Kraków
- a quiz about Poland for Cyprian visitors in the School in Giebułtów (Theo)
- visit in the kindergarten – games from different countries
- EKS on tour – sharing the experience of being a volunteer with a potential hosting org.
- All Saints Day in Primary School – program about traditions connected remembrance of deceased family members in different nations
- Multicultural Festival – stand of IB Polska
- High School Competition about English and German-speaking countries (Theo)
- The Volunteers DayChristmas games in Parasol
- Cultural workshops in High School
- 2 sessions of games for kids during winter break, visit in the kindergarten, workshops for Primary School children
- Games with kids from kindergarten in Zielonki
TRAINING FOR VOLUNTEERS:
- on arrival and mid-term
- training about formalities in the project
- training on setting goals
- well-being and time management
- communication with autistic children (Asser and Gvantsa)
- workshops on solidarity
- Youthpass training (online)
- city walk in Kraków
- boarding games
- photo-session and laughing yoga
- Christmas Evening
- Jumping Park
- Ceramic workshops with BBQ
- visit of the castle, ropes park, polish-style BBQ
Additionally, volunteers had polish lessons, meetings with mentors as well as group and individual evaluations with coordinators in the schools and from coordinating organization. Unfortunately due to lockdown and the limited possibility to organize events for groups and children we did not fulfill all our plans and activities. Still, we hope it was a good experience for the Volunteers.
Thank you for your cooperation in this great journey!